Some people call them creepy, some people call them unnatural, some people call them the future of storytelling.
I’m talking about Lil Miquela and other synthetic characters, now available on Instagram and coming soon to a stage near you!
I recently sat down with BRUD co-founder and CEO Trevor McFedries to talk about the future of synthetic creators, Lil Miquela, storytelling and where BRUD is going over the next few years.
You can watch it here –
- It’s still not fully autonomous. We are still in the puppeteering/battlebots stage… but it’s getting better.
- Traditional creators don’t have to worry about synthetic creators stealing their jobs.
- This is a very real and new market, but it may take 5-10 years for it to fully develop.
- The companies working at it now have the potential to dominate if they can stay in business and ride the tip of the technology advances.
- There will be a time when we can all create and unleash our own personal avatars on the world to do our bidding (see David Brin’s Kiln People). But that’s not tomorrow.
- And personally I wish we could have synthetic characters that aren’t modeled on human beings. I want to hang out with Totoro, for example